Sunday, December 18, 2005

I'm a calendar girl

Every year around this time I'm faced with the same quandary: Do I keep last year's calendar?

And to complicate matters, my anal self actually has three separate calendars, each with its own purpose.

First I have my DayTimer. This is my portable calendar and I use it to keep track of everything from doctors' appointments to social engagements. (Unfortunately I tend to have more of the former than the latter.) It's my most thorough calendar and covers practically everything I've done in the past year. So while my nostalgic side questions whether throwing out my calendar means I'm disregarding history, my practical side says "No stupid, you don't have room to keep any more superfluous crap."

My second calendar is a desk calendar at work where I keep track of all that work-related stuff. At the end of each month, I tear off the page and stick it in a drawer. I often look back at these so keeping them makes sense.

Finally there's the wall calendar in my office. Now while I don't use this particular calendar for anything other than decorative purposes, I feel bad about getting rid of it at the end of the year. This year's calendar features 12 months worth of cute doggies, specifically chocolate labs, several of which look much like my beloved Buddy.

Now if each month's picture was a separate photograph, I would never get rid of them. I'd probably frame them and use them to decorate my office. So do I toss this chronicle of adorableness and just start anew, simply because the pictures happened to be subdivided by staples? Yeah, I guess I have to. (Fortunately, thanks to my awesome stepmother-in-law, 2006 will feature "Just Labs" as well.)

I have to wonder whether I'm the only one who struggles with this dilemma every year. Considering the fact that DayTimer sells special boxes to hold planner inserts from previous years, I have to figure that I'm not. In any case, I still haven't made any hard and fast decisions. Perhaps I'll put it off until next year.

And God help me if I decide I need a day-by-day desk calendar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alisa, you're not the only one. Might I suggest downloading the software from Palm.com and using it instead of your monthly work calendar, it's on your PC so you dont have to save any paper, but you can print it out in monthly format so you can view it when you want! I too have mutiple calendars!
kelly

K8teebug said...

I keep my wall calendar as a reminder of what I did that year. It's like a mini journal for me. Plus, I like the pictures.