Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Empty chairs at empty tables

Call it morbid but I read the obituaries everyday. Actually, to be completely accurate, I scan the names in the death notices, looking for names that I recognize. (In newspaper terms, an obituary is an article written by a staff writer while the death notices are the list of names and subsequent information provided such as surviving family members, funeral arrangements, etc.)

Because Baltimore is such a small town, I usually see at least one or two familiar names a week. I don't necessarily know the person, but the departed could be related to someone I know.

But tomorrow when I carry on with my daily tradition I'll definitely see a name I recognize. One of the wonderful volunteers in my office passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer. Despite the many bouts of cancer (he's been through it four times now), I don't think any of us realized his death would be so soon.

I work in a job where I am surrounded by dedicated volunteers, most of whom are senior citizens. So while this is the first time I am faced with the death of a volunteer I supervise, it definitely won't be the last.

Joe was a very special guy. He and I really connected because when we met, we both had been through cancer twice. I made him promise that because we were tied, we would both call it even and not get any more cancer. Within weeks of that conversation though Joe told me he had to go in for a colonoscopy. Sure enough, the doctors found colorectal cancer. Like I had done a year earlier, Joe went in for surgery.

The surgery itself went well but that was when the doctors started finding more tumors. He had tumors in his chest and his shoulders. All through his treatment, Joe kept me up-to-date on how he was doing and kept saying how he looked forward to returning to work.

When Joe's wife called this morning, I knew exactly what she was about to tell me. Just yesterday I put a Christmas card in the mail saying everyone at work was looking forward to his return. But instead of preparing for his return, we're now collecting money to donate in his memory to the American Cancer Society.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cancer sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe knows.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»