Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My musical motivational mix

Every once in a while everyone needs a little motivation in life. Music can help.

So, because I'm dieting once again and need all the inspiration I can get, I've compiled my list of the Broadway songs that give me that little extra dose of encouragement.

Click each song title to hear a sample of the song. Let me know if you want me to burn you a copy of the CD.

1. Totally Fucked -- Spring Awakening
Key lyrics: "But you're fucked if you speak your mind; And you know, uh-huh, you will."

Okay, so this may seem like an odd choice to start off a set of music that's supposed to be motivational but allow me to explain. When you're feeling kinda crappy to begin with, it's important to laugh and this song never fails to crack me up. It also reminds me that voicing my opinion isn't, um, always the best way to go. Let's just say my mouth has been known to get me in trouble.

2. For Now -- Avenue Q
Key lyrics: "Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now."

As if singing (and fornicating) puppets aren't cheer-inducing enough, this finale from Avenue Q reminds us that everything in life -- the good and the bad -- is only temporary. So if you've got it good, count your blessings. And if you're in the dumps, like my grandmother always says, this too shall pass.

3. Schadenfreude -- Avenue Q
Key lyrics: "The world needs people like you and me who've been knocked around by fate. 'Cause when people see us, they don't want to be us, and that makes them feel great."

Another selection from Avenue Q, this one reminds us that you may have it bad but just look at everyone else. Happiness at the misfortune of others isn't a bad thing. The song gets bonus points for teaching me to spell a difficult German word. Actually, that's a lie. I still can't spell it.

4. Do You Hear the People Sing? -- Les Miserables
Key lyrics: "There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes."

This is the most rousing, join the cause, inspiring kind of song I know. We even played the instrumental version as the recessional for our wedding. It's just one of those songs that gets me all happy and hopeful, even if just about everyone who's on stage during this number dies pretty soon thereafter. I went back and forth on whether to add this to label this a motivational song but hey, it motivates me so here it is.

5. Astonishing -- Little Women
Key lyrics: "I may be small but I've got giant plans."

This song, the last one in Act I before intermission, is sung by Jo, one of the March sisters, as she leaves home to embark on her writing career. It really leaves you wanting more and reminds you that sometimes you have to step beyond your comfort zone to achieve your dreams.

6. So Much Better -- Legally Blonde
Key lyrics: "I am so much better than before."

This song is all about girl power. It's the Spice Girls meet Gloria Steinam. Again the last song before intermission, here we see Harvard law student Elle Woods realizing that she can succeed on her own and doesn't need a man, even a rich cute one, to make it in life.

7. Find Your Grail -- Spamalot
Key lyrics: "Life is really up to you, you must choose what to pursue."

In an otherwise fluffy and comical show, this song really stands out to me as something you can actually take seriously. Everyone has their own goal in life and it's up to you to figure out what it is and how to get there. And oh yeah -- always look on the bright side of life.

8. Defying Gravity -- Wicked
Key lyrics: "I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so."

Another song strong on the girl power scale, it's no wonder so many young girls flock to a musical like Wicked. The primary message in this song, and in the musical itself, is that your outward appearance doesn't matter but rather it's how you treat others that determines your place in life.

9. You Can't Stop the Beat -- Hairspray
Key lyrics: "So if you don't like the way I look well, I just don't give a damn."

This, my final selection, is about being comfortable in your own skin and standing up for what is right, no matter what society says. Perhaps more importantly, it's also the best damn musical finale of all time. It leaves you singing as you leave the theater (both live and movie) and has an unshakable sound. Where else can you look at the road to racial integration with such fun and whimsy?

Well, that wraps up my motivational mix. It may be difficult to understand some of my choices without seeing all of these shows live. I guess sometimes you really have to know the context. For that reason, I strongly urge all of you to go see these Broadway shows. I've thoroughly enjoyed each and everyone of them.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

what a bizarre source of inspiration ;)