Saturday, July 28, 2007

Thanks for the memories, Cal

I don't claim to be Cal Ripken Jr.'s biggest fan. I can't quote his stats off the top of my head like so many O's fans and I'm not venturing to Cooperstown this weekend like thousands of other Baltimorians.

But I did grow up in Charm City in the 1980s and 90s so for me it's pretty hard not to love the guy as both a baseball player and a hometown hero.

I was born in Baltimore in 1978. This means that means until I turned 22, I never saw an Orioles game without Cal right there, front and center. (Or, more accurately, somewhere between second and third base and then later, at third.)

Like the rest of my generation, I grew up watching the Iron Man play and never knew baseball to be anything else. I got chills when my parents drove us past his house out in the valley, always wondering what stood beyond the giant R's on the gates.

As kids, my brothers and I were members of the junior Orioles and watched countless games at Memorial Stadium. We came to love the Friday night student discounts when the Orioles made their home at Camden Yards.

I was just starting my senior year of high school when Cal broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak in September of 1995. I couldn't get tickets for the 2130 or 2131 games but I watched on television in total awe of the man. After all, I'm the girl who considered it a streak if she made it to school three days in a row.

I was studying abroad in Scotland the summer after my first year of law school when Cal announced his retirement. As the news made its way across the pond courtesy of calls from home, my friend Kristen and I ran to the University of Aberdeen's computer lab for more information.

We got the audio working on one of the aging computers and the streaming video on another and we sat there quietly watching Cal's press conference with his announcement. We immediately bought a set of 10 tickets for the Sept. 21, 2001 game against the Yankee's -- what would be one of Cal's last three home games.

The terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 came and baseball took a back seat, as did just about everything else in life. With several games cancelled, we were no longer holding tickets for Cal's last homestand. But when playing resumed, there was Cal and there we were at Oriole Park getting our last look at him on the field. (Cal ultimately played his last game two weeks later on Oct. 6, 2001.)

It was no surprise that Cal would be elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame the first year he was eligible. Many people started planning their trip to Cooperstown long before the baseball writers took the vote.

Kristen and her husband, Nathan, are making the pilgrimage to see Cal inducted and I hope they have an incredible time. We are glad to have joined them on the first part of their Cal tribute by going to Ripken Stadium to see Cal's minor league team, the Aberdeen Ironbirds, followed by the official Orioles send-off for Cal at Oriole Park. The latter featured free bobbleheads and let's be honest -- there isn't much I wouldn't do for a free bobblehead.

The atmosphere at Camden Yards on Tuesday night was amazing. It's been so long since I've seen that many people at the stadium. This year's Orioles team sure doesn't have that kind of drawing power.

I loved being there and seeing the greats like Brooks Robinson and Eddie Murray congratulate Cal on his induction. It was like for a few minutes the city could forget about its losing baseball team, rising murder rate, and general aura of corruption. All that mattered was Cal was there and he still loves us, or fakes it really well.

I admit that some of the tributes to Cal in recent weeks may have been a bit overboard but hey, with the supposed sports stars we have nowadays, it's pretty nice having someone like Cal to admire. Thanks for the memories, Cal.

No comments: