Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Winner wanted: No skill required

Through absolutely no skill or effort of my own, I've somehow won my March Madness bracket, making me the lucky recipient of a whopping $67.50.

Scoring 94 out of a possible 120 points, I managed to finish a whole nine points ahead of my closest competitor, my husband's boss. Not bad for someone who plainly admits that I know nothing about college basketball or even basketball in general.

I've just never had much of an appreciation for the game itself. There's nothing about a bunch of 7-foot-tall men getting a ball through a hoop that impresses me. I think the game would be far more enjoyable if played by short people like me, midgets, or players who have to be on their knees at all times. That, or raise the hoop to 20 feet. That could be interesting.

I also believe that the entire game doesn't need to be more than two minutes long. In most basketball games, there are really only two minutes that make the difference. It might be early on in the game when one team goes ahead by 10 points. Or maybe it's the last two minutes of the game when one of the two teams who had been neck-and-neck throughout finally emerges victorious. Either way, think of all the time we could save.

And please, don't get me started on a game where breaking the rules (i.e. committing a foul) is a strategy that can actually benefit your team in the long run.

The only reason I participate in the whole March Madness bracket phenomenon is so that I'm not entirely bored for several weeks of the year. Oh, and I guess this year I get to add the benefit of financial gain and bragging rights.

I know a lot of people (especially my husband) will disagree with my take on the game, but guess what: I won and I have a blog. I get to gloat a bit. So there.

Wow, so much for embracing with my touchy-feely side last week.

No comments: