For those of you keeping track, that translates into four children, nine grandchildren, three great grandchildren, a jewelry store, a hardware store, and an optical lab.
And they're still just as much in love today as they were back on their wedding day... probably even moreso.
"There is nothing in this world that I wouldn't do for him, and nothing he wouldn't do for me," my grandmother says.
I can listen to the story of how my grandparents met over and over again. My grandmother, on the advice of her sisters, got all dolled up and went to a practice for a local musical arts group where my grandfather, a saxophone player, performed with the orchestra. Despite the warnings of her father to stay away from those musician types, my grandmother thought my grandfather was cute and kept going back to see him.
As the only one of the group with a car, my grandfather got stuck driving everybody else home. At the beginning he would drop off my grandmother first because she lived the farthest from him. But after a few nights, he dropped everyone else off and would take her home last so he could have some time alone with her.
Grandpa jokes that he knew they were getting married when his father bought them a bedroom set. Adorably enough, it's the same bedroom set that they still use, complete with the double bed they've shared for all of these years. (How they managed to sleep in a double bed together all these years is beyond me. My husband and I have a king size bed and if I can even see him over on the other side, he's too close.)
My grandfather often jokes that he got off really easy when it came to paying for the wedding because his only expense was the marriage license. "It was the best five dollars I ever spent," he said.
My grandmother's wedding band, the same one I wore for my wedding, is the very first piece of jewelry my grandfather designed and crafted. (In addition to his talents as a musician, my grandfather is also an amazing artist and jewelry designer.)
So what's the secret to such a long and happy marriage? Grandma says the key is to always be willing to go more than halfway. She claims they've never had a fight in all of these years but Grandpa says she just has bad hearing and a short memory.
While I'm hardly the sentimental type, I can't help but share a few comments that my grandmother made during a visit a few months back. (My brother was smart enough to take notes.) Seriously, how can this not be the cutest thing ever?
"Marriage is forever. When you say I do, you are making that promise for life."
"Everything in a relationship is give and take. Sometimes you give more, and sometimes you get more. In the end it all balances out."
"Love your children equally, but all for different reasons. That way when another child comes into your life, you can love them just as much without taking anything from the others."
"The key to a great marriage is happiness. Strive to make your partner happy, and you will be happy."
Happy Anniversary, Grandma & Grandpa!
2 comments:
yea! i love your grandma and grandpa! they're so adorable! happy anniversary to them!
-diane
They're amazing. I hope their other grandchildren et al recognize what great role models they are in a world that's become much too disposable.
Post a Comment