I got caught.
I was on my fourth time around when it happened. I'd left the store through a side exit and waited for a crowd of people before walking in again. I tried to blend in with them but it didn't work.
There was a bottleneck. I stood there two seconds too long. I was spotted.
The overly-cheerful JCPenney employee turned to me and slowly handed me a snowglobe.
"Second one?" he said, looking at me with a sly but knowing grin. I sheepishly accepted the snowglobe.
"I'm observant," he added.
Oh, I can't tell you how badly I wanted to say "Well, apparently not that observant, because this is actually my fourth one." But I kept my mouth shut.
Still, the family finished out the day with 11 snowglobes. I have no complaints.
I wasn't sure how well this year would go. The family has had a rough time lately and I was afraid the stress and need for sleep would keep my fellow snowglobe hunters in bed this year. We moved my grandmother to a nursing home this week after she spent a week in the hospital with what her doctor is calling late-stage Alzheimer's Disease. It's been a really hard time.
The family immediately balked last night when I reminded them that JCPenney opened at 4 a.m. They were tired. They wanted to sleep in. I said I'd be leaving the house at 3:45 and whoever wanted to join me was welcome.
My brother, Matt, was outside of my house when I opened the door at that ungodly hour. He and I drove to JCPenney where, to our amazement, a line was already forming outside.
I then had a call from my husband who was shocked that I left the house without him and said he'd be right there.
In all, I got four snowglobes and Matt and Rich each got two. I was happy with the eight, but later got a call from my dad who said he and Matt went back later on and they got another three.
I know it's a stupid tradition but for some reason, it means a lot to me. And I think it means even more to me this year when we're so worried about Grandma. It's nice to have some continuity in life.
1 comment:
Every year on black friday, I think of you and wonder how many snowglobes you managed to acquire. This story is by far the best!
Post a Comment