Thursday, January 12, 2006

There's now a little less of me to go around

I had my first weigh-in last night since getting started again on Weight Watchers. I’m pleased to report that I lost 2.2 lbs. during my first week back on the program. Before I weighed in I decided that I would be happy if I lost at least two pounds. In my mind, I was hoping that I really lost five or more, but I’m more realistic (pessimistic?) than that.

The past week hasn’t been too bad. I’ve still been able to dine out at all of my favorite spots and my menu choices have only changed slightly. (You didn't think I was actually going to try to cook, did you?) I have to make sure to leave off some of the good stuff, like cheese, but all in all I can deal with it. My pantry has become a sea of portion controlled baggies but hey, taking the thought out of it makes it easier.

The nicest part of all of this is that I actually feel better. And by feel better, I mean I’ve had a bit more energy and not so much of the aches and pains that I got used to. I haven’t had to pop a Tylenol all week!

Of course I’m not sure that all of this feeling better can be attributed to Weight Watchers. I finally started taking vitamins and I’ve also been sleeping better thanks to my new anti-snore spray. (As a side note, without my snoring, Rich is sleeping much better too.) I guess it really shouldn’t matter whether one or all of these factors have contributed to how I feel as long as I’m still feeling good.

I just hope that I can manage to keep the diet and the weight loss going. I have 30 lbs. to lose overall and I know I can’t plan to lose 2 lbs. every week. I made it to the gym twice this week and I need to at least keep that up if not go more often. But, being realistic, I'm going to make two times a week my goal.

In case any of you are trying to lose weight too, I will share a few tips I've picked up:
- Put your fork down after each bite and take a sip of water in between. You will fill up faster.
- Never eat chips or other snack items out of the bag it comes in. Divide up the each serving and put them in baggies so you can grab them on the run.
- When at a party where you're standing around where you have a plate of food, hold the plate in your dominant hand and eat with your non-dominant hand. You will likely eat slower this way.
- When you order food at a restaurant, ask for a doggie bag up front. When the meal comes, put anything beyond a normal serving size in the doggie bag so you won't be tempted to nibble on it.
- If you have food in the house that you're afraid you'll be tempted to gorge yourself on, don't just throw it away. Drench it in water or a foul-tasting substance so you won't be tempted to go into the trash after. You know what I mean, George Costanza.

Geez, I sure hope I'm this upbeat after my weigh-in next week.

2 comments:

K8teebug said...

Congrats on the weight loss!

The last tip reminds me of the episode of SATC where Miranda gets choclate cake out of the trash and eats it.

And that episode of Seinfeld was just on the other night!

Congrats again!

Adventurer said...

Congrats, that is a great start...

So, on a side-note, the spray really works? I want Mike to get it.